Hello all! I would say hey strangers but that would be me! I really wish I could do it all! Work, be a mommy(the most hats in one), makeup artist, occasional blogger, preceptor/teacher for upcoming pharmacy school graduates, mentor, makeup line owner, wardrobe stylist, president of a pharmacy association, creative consultant, HIV educator, friend, and girlfriend- while trying to an active room parent and church member! I'm not bragging, just sharing how I know we all have many hats and responsibilities and passions. I think I do okay with the first two! I do all of the others but not to the best of my capability. I've found that lack of time management and the undiagnosed attention deficit disorder are my struggles! Even after countless vision boards including managing time to do more of what I desire as one of my goals, I suck at it! So that's why today I'm adding some tips for all of us organized but chaotic moms who want to do it all and not suck at it!
1. Don't overbook yourself! Make a commitment to one thing for that day or time. If you know you have to get a sitter or if you don't get off of work until the event starts, DON'T STRESS YOURSELF with trying to make it work.
2. Plan ahead. Use pen and paper 📝! I'm so old school. It's not real unless I've written it down. Plan your outfit, babysitter, budget, and timeline. For example, I'm attending a huge event in Memphis where Cicely Tyson will be the guest speaker for an non-profit organization. I work that day. So I know I need my hair styled beforehand. I know I need my outfit ready. I need to know how far it is from work so I won't be late! You set yourself up for failure when you wait till the day of (which I do often)! Gots to be more careful!
3. Use your resources! Friends! Friends are the most valuable resource to help you in a pinch! I hate asking people to help me! It's not that I don't trust they'll do what is asked, it's that what if they need me one day and I'm not available. I think about things like that. However, I've learned that they are happy to do anything within reason or reasonable time and distance. I'm blessed to have many around me. So ask one of yours to come help you clean. Gets some Chipotle and wine and make a night of it. Ask one to print out your work instead of you paying to go to Kinkos! Ask one to car- sit and take your car to inspection! Let someone one drop off the costume, uniform, book, or whatever you forgot to take to your child's school! These are just things I need from time to time. Friends, how many of us have them??? Act like it!
4. Make time for yourself- even with the demands of your world, you still have to disconnect and focus on you. Rest. Take a bath or walk without checking the phone or social media. Get that massage you've been putting off since January! Watch a movie with your boo! No phones, no distractions!
5. Then you can get back at it. But take a breather and know you may want to do it all and even more, you can't all at once. Pace yourself! You know the saying, "People make time for what they want"? Yeah but there's only so much time in a day! You can't develop more time, you can learn to manage the time you have better to do the things you want.
Hope these few tips help! Leave a comment of how you cope and make it through life's demands of you!
Smooches! I'll be back soon!